[OpenFontLibrary] browser / resolution compatibility for new site

James Weiner james at weareculture.com
Mon Apr 6 08:50:13 PDT 2009

On 1 Apr 2009, at 19:24, Dave Crossland wrote:
> 2009/4/1 Robert Martinez <mail at mray.de>:
>>
>> I have a strong personal opinion about IE and its compliance of web
>> standards.
>> If it was a website for a paying customer I would be concerned
>> about this
>> issue.
>> But OFLB has the great opportunity to deliver IE7 users what they
>> really
>> have: a poor browser.
>> I don't like to work for Microsoft by correcting or adapting to their
>> mistakes.
>>
>> What we should try is to completely validate the HTML and CSS on
>> w3.org
>> though.
>
> While I don't want to speak for anyone else, that is certainly my
> opinion, and my impression of the overall feeling here.
>
> But I wouldn't want to reject IE compatibility contributions if people
> make them.

I wish we could just IE too Robert :o)

But we can't exclude people purely because they use a dreadful browser
that ignores all agreed standards recommendations. To be honest in my
experience it should just be a case of straightening out a few of the
more common major bugs to achieve something that at least isn't all
broken and ugly. Hopefully this won't take more than a few hours to do.

I also agree that validation would be a good thing, but this can't
happen until everyone has stopped fiddling with the html and we know
that we're in some sort of 'finished' state. I'll happily do the bug
fixing seeing as it's one of the parts of my day job and also I'm
familiar with the css what with having written it in the first
place ;o). Any chance we could try and get the site 'complete' in May?
I have some free time then that I can contribute.

A personal message for Fontfreedom at aol.com: maybe one day you'd like
to contribute rather than just criticise? Everyone else seems to
manage a good balance of the two.