[OpenFontLibrary] Bruce Perens criticized SIL Open Font License

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Apr 7 04:56:51 PDT 2009

Le Mar 7 avril 2009 12:59, Nicolas Spalinger a écrit :

> I think you will all agree that an embedded font (an actual part of
> the
> document it is embedded in) is not fully bit-identical to its original
> upstream format

Actually, I don't.

There is no technical requirement for the font data to be modified
when embedding. People always think about PDF for the embedding case
but embedding fonts to display text is a generic need and I'm sure
investigation would show digital formats where font data is embedded
as-is exist in the wild (for example I doubt video people do heavy
filtering before embedding fonts for dubbing purposes). Container and
zip-based formats are becoming more and more common with improvements
in processing power, and they are definitely not bundles in the legal
sense.

I don't like much how Bruce expresses his opinion, but his concern
seem valid to me.

--
Nicolas Mailhot