[OpenFontLibrary] Bruce Perens criticized SIL Open Font License

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Tue Apr 7 13:30:12 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 17:37 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:45:22AM -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 17:17 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> >
> > > Extracting fonts from PDF and saving in editable form is not rocket
> > > science. You just grab Fontmatrix/SVN :)
> >
> > That would be a really really really bad feature to put into
> > fontmatrix, I'd say!
> >
> > Let's at least try to keep at least a little good will with
> > the commercial font designer community, if we actually
> > want to see professional font designers start to get
> > involved with open source.
>
> This assumes that the mere act of extracting fonts from PDF files is
> illegal/immoral, which is not true.

No, not at all -- it assumes that the type designers and vendors
don't like people doing it, which _is_ true, by and large.  I'm
saying, let's not do things which we know will cause anger, bad
publicity and potentially leave a lasting bad taste.

Having said that, if a font is marked embeddable, editable
and installable, installing it is for sure OK.  And no
doubt there are plenty of pdf font extraction tools around.

Best,

Liam