[OpenFontLibrary] New patron, but wants high profile link for small donation?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Apr 13 07:53:15 PDT 2009

This is good. He contacted me outside of OCAL as well, and I felt like
it was a bit spammy at first. Then, I thought about more and
considered it that it would allow for funding development.

Is it ok in your opinion to take funds like this and not decide with
community consensus how they are spent?

I personally feel like if someone donates money through a person, that
they can be allocated however the person sees fit.

I think Inkscape and some other projects view this differently, but as
a web project, I think we have to consider how resources are
allocated.

I personally would love to see more of this to fund development. I'm
not sure how I feel about the main page, but think that smaller
irregular sums should be a on a sponsors/patrons page as you have
done.

For larger, regular sums, they could go on the main page footer or something.

I think the main thing is to have an agreement about the dates for this.

Jon

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Chris Reynolds <chris at webhostingsearch.com> contacted Alexandre and I
> last month, about becoming a sponsor of the site.
>
> He would like to donate US$500 in return for some kind of link to his
> business website. I proposed a link to the site on the patron's page
> for 6 months, and Chris has made this mock up:
>
> http://dave.lab6.com/acid/dump/2009/oflb-patron2.jpg
>
> He has also suggested a link on the main page of the old site, while it is up:
>
> http://dave.lab6.com/acid/dump/2009/oflb-patron1.jpg
>
> The value of affiliate marketing is quite large, and could be a source
> of income for the project, so I think we should be careful to keep
> high-visibility advertising copy available to patrons only at a
> premium. I would prefer to have a linked logo on the patrons page just
> like the other patrons have. $500 is much less than other patrons have
> donated, but then, an extra $500 will certainly help Ed Trager spend
> more time on integrating his work.
>
> Thoughts? :-)
>
> --
> Regards,