[OpenFontLibrary] New patron, but wants high profile link for small donation?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Mon Apr 13 18:33:59 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 18:49 +0200, Ben Laenen wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2009, Dave Crossland wrote:

> If you do want to mention a name on the front page then it should be
> something which randomly selects a patron, perhaps as a widget on the
> side bar, with a text like "we thank our following patron for their
> donation to this project:". And then also have a minimum donated amount
> to get that privilege, but I have no idea what a good amount would be.

On the front page use rel="nofollow" on the link. For the patrons page,
www.openfontlibrary.org currently has a pagerank of 5, and I suspect
that once there are font previews and it becomes useful, that will go
to 6, suggesting /patrons would have a pagerank of 5, and $100/month
is on the high side for a link, but OK for a sponsor. So I'd say 6
months.

By comparison,
7 www.dafont.com (well established though)
6 www.openclipart.org
6 www.1001freefonts.com
6 www.urbanfonts.com
4 freefonts.com

My experience with www.fromoldbooks.org was that once it got to
pagerank 8 I got one or two requests a week to advertise (and then
one day Google took my pagerank away, but that's another story).

Liam