[OpenFontLibrary] Sample images

Erik van Blokland erik at letterror.com
Wed Apr 15 12:05:31 PDT 2009

On 15 apr 2009, at 07:08, Jan Claeys wrote:

> # I think you still live in .nl, but I don't know your rate...   ;)

I do.

> So, would something like 20000 to 30000 euro be a realistic price
> for a
> *good* quality "latin" text font, including kerning, support for
> accented characters, etc.?  Or more like 50k or even 100k euro?

I think 20-30 is reasonable to get started. But contemporary typefaces
have a  full latin-1 or even wider characterset, weight range from
thin to black, width variations, smallcaps, and figure ranges for
oldstyle, lining proportional, lining tabular, oldstyle tabular,
inferior, superior, numerator / denominator, small cap figures, of
course everything in roman and italic. Such a project can easily
require a dozen unique masters (i.e. which need to be drawn). Greek,
cyrillic, math, scientific extensions, titling versions, are waiting
on the sidelines. Then duplicate all that if you want a companion
serif or sans. Projects can last for years.

The work could be split up along some of these lines, but you'd need
someone to provide continuity, direct and manage the projects.

Contemporary typedesigners are used to taking risks, spending absurd
amounts of time on projects which have no guarantees for revenue after
release, but hoping that it will provide some regular income in the
form of royalties. As with most things, you'll find them more willing
to take risks if they can benefit, rather than take risks on behalf of
someone else. If you can dream up some sort of reward / carrot
structure along those lines, it will be easier to sell the idea.

Cheers,
Erik