[OpenFontLibrary] Sample images

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Tue Apr 21 18:58:25 PDT 2009

Op woensdag 15-04-2009 om 21:05 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Erik van
Blokland:
> On 15 apr 2009, at 07:08, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > So, would something like 20000 to 30000 euro be a realistic price
> > for a *good* quality "latin" text font, including kerning, support for
> > accented characters, etc.?  Or more like 50k or even 100k euro?
>
> I think 20-30 is reasonable to get started. But contemporary typefaces
> have a  full latin-1 or even wider characterset, weight range from
> thin to black, width variations, smallcaps, and figure ranges for
> oldstyle, lining proportional, lining tabular, oldstyle tabular,
> inferior, superior, numerator / denominator, small cap figures, of
> course everything in roman and italic. Such a project can easily
> require a dozen unique masters (i.e. which need to be drawn). Greek,
> cyrillic, math, scientific extensions, titling versions, are waiting
> on the sidelines. Then duplicate all that if you want a companion
> serif or sans. Projects can last for years.
>
> The work could be split up along some of these lines, but you'd need
> someone to provide continuity, direct and manage the projects.
>
> Contemporary typedesigners are used to taking risks, spending absurd
> amounts of time on projects which have no guarantees for revenue after
> release, but hoping that it will provide some regular income in the
> form of royalties. As with most things, you'll find them more willing
> to take risks if they can benefit, rather than take risks on behalf of
> someone else. If you can dream up some sort of reward / carrot
> structure along those lines, it will be easier to sell the idea.

Thanks for this information!

It might be useful one day...

Most people don't have an idea about how much it costs to design a
typeface; this should give them a good idea ( = it doesn't cost a
million euro, but you won't get there with 10k euro either).

--
Jan Claeys