[OpenFontLibrary] font linking bandwidth issues

James Weiner james at unicorncreative.com
Mon Apr 27 10:05:15 PDT 2009

Hello fellow OFLBers,

I have a little problem you might like to mull over, one that could
apply to any font using font linking on the web.

I'm currently working on a web site that uses a common font, but the
font is not common enough that I can rely on the font stack (which
depends on people having it installed), so I was wanting to use font
linking to pull it into the site. The only problem is that the total
size of the two weights of the font is ~600Kb which is far too much to
expect people to download (even with broadband as fast download time
is crucial for text). Something up to 100Kb would be OK. Does anyone
know any way of sub-setting a font easily? It's a commercial font and
I have a license covering its use on the web but I can't edit the font
files directly.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers, James

--