[OpenFontLibrary] Open Translation Tools 09: Call for Participants!

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Apr 30 08:29:17 PDT 2009

Hi All,

In 2007 I and Alex Prokoudine attended the wonderful Open Translation
Tools event in Croatia, and this year another will be held in
Amsterdam, Holland from 22-24 June, 2009.

This time its also part of an Open Translation Book Sprint to produce
a free book about the tools and best practices of Open Translation,
with FLOSSManuals.net.

Last time my flights were paid for by the Open Society Institute, and
I believe that there will be a similar bursary for people to attend
this year.

I cannot make it however, since it will be a couple of weeks before my
big MA Typeface Design deadline, and I'm going to LGM.

But, the topic of libre fonts was welcomed by the organisers and
proved interesting to all the other participants, and so I hope
someone from the Open Font Library or Deja Vu projects can attend.

I'd like people at OTT09 to know about @font-face and what it means
for minority languages, and for them to tell the libre fons community
what is bugging them about the fonts they have to use (or don't have
available yet.) And also, what is bugging them about the way other
tools use fonts - such as the font selection/management features.

http://aspirationtech.org/events/opentranslation/2009 has all the
details, and there is a maliing list at
http://lists.aspirationtech.org/lists/info/opentranslation - and you
can email Allen Gunn <gunner at aspirationtech.org> who is the boss ;-)
at Aspiration Tech if you have specific queries about the bursary and
so on.