[OpenFontLibrary] Verbose license text in a font

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Aug 5 10:02:38 PDT 2009

Its not common but for free fonts it is more common. Filesize isn't usually
an issue, afterall. I filed a bug for FF validator to warn about this, and
hope down the road we will validate OFLB fonts for stuff like this.

Regards, Dave

On 5 Aug 2009, 5:23 PM, "Chris Lilley" <chris at w3.org> wrote:

Hello ,

Seen on www-font recently:

> Gentium won't work in IE8/Win 7 due to a regression bug in the
> t2embed library; as part of a Windows security patch the decision
> was made to not load fonts with more than 5K in a name table record,
> which includes fonts like Gentium which includes the entire Open
> Font License text in the license name record.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-font/2009JulSep/1209.html

Is it common for license text to be included in a font (rather than a
link to the license)?

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead