[OpenFontLibrary] Fontaine

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 09:11:43 PDT 2009

Hi, Dwayne,

OK, I added Venda (South Africa) orthography to Fontaine:

==============
svn ci -m "Added Venda (South Africa) and Igbo Onwu (Nigeria) orthographies"
Sending        trunk/src/FontFace.cpp
Adding         trunk/src/orthographies/IgboOnwu.h
Adding         trunk/src/orthographies/Venda.h
Sending        trunk/src/orthographies/orthographies.h
Transmitting file data ....
Committed revision 34.
==============

While I was at it, I added Igbo Onwu (Nigeria) to Fontaine also.  I've
been working on a Javascript-based Igbo keyboard, so that was easy to
do -- Maybe I will make a Venda keyboard next?

The idea of adding a "--orthography=XXX,YYY,ZZZ" option is a good one.
 I needed just that functionality yesterday in fact!  Of course there
already exist the "fontconfig" tools, ie.. "fc-list" -- but I don't
suppose that Fontconfig includes Venda or other African orthographies?
 You could submit patches to fontconfig though.

As for Fontaine, adding orthographies that are specific to individual
languages (such as Venda and Igbo) as opposed to larger orthography
groups (such as my "PanAfrican" group in Fontaine) does raise issues
about the future design of Fontaine that I have not yet considered
fully :  The main issue is not to create endlessly long reports when
those are not needed.  I'll have to think about this more ...

Best - Ed