[OpenFontLibrary] OneClickOrgs beta - our environment is now ready

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Dec 10 09:58:54 PST 2009

Le jeudi 10 décembre 2009 à 16:52 +0000, Ben Weiner a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 9 Dec 2009, at 18:12, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>
> > Le mercredi 09 décembre 2009 à 17:28 +0000, Ben Weiner a écrit :
> >
> >> Ah! OK.
> >>
> >> Perhaps: "The software expression of typeface designs"
> >>
> >> Thus limiting OFLB to:
> >> - being a repository for files
> >> - providing information about their creation and best use
> >
> > I sort of hoped OFLB would be more than yet another www file dump
> and
> > would build the infrastructure needed to :
> > - track file changes
>
> "repository"?

repository just means a place to put files. It says nothing about
tracking their changes. This is a real change tracker
http://dejavu.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dejavu/

(except, svn, yurk)

> > - track legal changes
> > - sanity-check fonts, identify problems, notify font authors
> > - give them the tools to work collaboratively on new designs
> > - promote best technical and legal practices
> >
> > But I guess that was just misplaced expectations on my part. Surely,
> > most of the work so far has been oriented towards font gallery
> needs,
> > and little else, so I should not be surprised.
>
> We can't currently identify technical flaws in fonts but OFLB v2 will
> prevent users uploading fonts that are not provided with the correct
> licence text. Does that help promote best practices to some extent?

This is baby steps. Even the high-level tests we do @fedora do more than
that.

http://nim.fedorapeople.org/repo-font-audit-fedora-devel-20091128T215022Z.tar.xz

I freely admit we suck on the web gallery front, though.

--
Nicolas Mailhot