[OpenFontLibrary] @font-face, is it really needed for font preview?

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 08:03:34 PST 2009

Hi, Egil,

I and others have thought of this before too.  I think someone
connected to SIL's Graphite project worked on something along these
lines in order to support complex layout scripts like Burmese in the
current crop of SVG-aware but Burmese-not-aware browsers.

To write a server-side program that generates a bitmap image of text
is fairly simple.  To write a server-side program that generates the
SVG snippets instead is more work.  However such an SVG curve
generator would be pretty cool because then you could scale the text
dynamically on the client side, change colors using CSS, and generally
have a lot of fun playing around with the SVG outlines directly on the
client side.  So it would be quite cool if someone did it.

-- Ed