[OpenFontLibrary] Firefox 3.5 is out!

Joshua A.C. Newman joshua at joshuanewmandesign.com
Wed Jul 1 09:20:16 PDT 2009

> Downloading EOTs makes little sense to me. What use are they outside
> a browser?

Just so you can put them on your own server. I mean, I think the OFLB
is cool and all, but I don't want to rely on its uptime for my fonts.
If my own server's down, so are the sites on it, so it doesn't
increase downtime.

Am I wrong about how this works? You link to the .eot from the css as
a file, right? And it can be anywhere?

-J

On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Dave Crossland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well yes, all other browsers support normal fonts, so that's a
> defacto standard. I don't see MS changing though, it must prop up
> the proprietary software culture quite hard as the weight of free
> software network effects streamroll it :)
>
> Downloading EOTs makes little sense to me. What use are they outside
> a browser?
>
> Regards, Dave
>

> On 1 Jul 2009, 4:27 PM, "Joshua A.C. Newman" <joshua at joshuanewmandesign.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Well, IE did this in like 1996 so its not really true they decided
> to do something different;
>
> Yeah, I remember that this is an old thing. But now there is a
> standard.
>
> But:
> > 2009/7/1 ricardo lafuente <bollecs at sollec.org>: >> >> would it be
> too difficult/impractical to h...
>
> That's the hot hotness. But doesn't that only work for linking to
> those fonts? Would it work to generate EOTs for download as well?
>
> -J
>
> On Jul 1, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Dave Crossland wrote: > 2009/7/1 Joshua
> A.C. Newman <joshua at joshuanewm...
>
> Joshua Newman Design 401.225.7222

Joshua Newman Design
401.225.7222