[OpenFontLibrary] Font subsets

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Jul 3 01:04:10 PDT 2009

James Weiner wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for where I can get hold of a
> suggestion for a 'minimum useful' character set?
>
> I am optimising some typefaces for @font-face use (they are currently
> ~350Kb) and I would prefer them to way in around 50-75Kb at most, but I
> also want them to be actually useful.
>
> For now the site the subsetted fonts are for is only in English,
> although it may be internationalised in the coming years.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

You're right: optimisation is a tradeoff: one man's bloat is another
man's absolute survival minimum :-)

As Nicolas M. has indicated the MES-x subsets are probably a good start.

Also please take into account any reserved font names requirements when
doing the subsetting.

> Cheers, James

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org