[OpenFontLibrary] Using genetic algorithms to create fonts

Aaron Spaulding professionalaaron at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 09:55:26 PDT 2009

Ed Trager wrote:
> Hi, Aaron,
>
> I don't really know anything about genetic programming algorithms
> since I've never done that kind of work.
>
> But I guess there has to be a "fitness" criteria in there somewhere
> that determines whether the offspring live to reproduce or die.  That
> fitness criteria clearly needs to be based on whether people can read
> the letters or not.  So maybe some kind of voting system?  More
> highly-ranked ones have more chances to "mate" and produce offspring,
> less highly-ranked ones die sooner with fewer offspring.  Something
> like that ...

Thats exactly the way it works, but the database was populated with
randomness.  Even after many generations, its still nonsense.  For
example i just got five letters that resemble: m, r, 3, unicorn, man
using a crossbow while wearing a scarf...

At this point its more of a personality test.  Unless there's a UTF code
point for "Unicorn" that I'm not aware of. :)

--
Aaron
sachimp.com