[OpenFontLibrary] Access-control, font linking help

Erik van Blokland erik at letterror.com
Tue Jul 14 04:19:04 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm seeking some clarification on CORS / access control / same-origin
relating to fonts. I'm digging through the access-control spec[1], but
this is foreign territory to me. I'm hoping someone here more familiar
with the spec is willing to help.

My questions:

I understand that same-origin support is something that's built in the
UA. I presume this is done for specific filetypes, John Daggett [2]:
"By default, Firefox 3.5 only allows fonts to be loaded for pages
served from the same site." - correct?

How is CORS / access control implemented in web server apps, spefically:
	- if a cross-origin request is received by a server app, am I correct
to think the request is denied *unless* there are specific
instructions to allow the resource to be served? [3]
	- is it possible a server app would have access control switched off,
even though the app supports it
		-- (i.e. is there a state beyond "allow", "deny" -- perhaps
"ignored"?)
		-- what is the expected response from the server in this case?
	- are there server apps which do no implement access control at all?
		what is the expected response from the server in this case?
	- in case of denied access to resources other than fonts, is there a
common behaviour in User Agents? ignore? alert the user?

Thanks for any help,
Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/access-control/#origin-header
[2] "Cross-Site Font Usage" at http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/06/beautiful-fonts-with-font-face/