[OpenFontLibrary] What licenses do we accept?

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Jul 15 08:57:19 PDT 2009

Ed Trager wrote:
> Hi, Nicolas (Mailhot),
>
>> Vollkorn
>> http://www.grafikfritze.de/?p=43
>
> This appears to be a very nice font.  The web page says its under a CC
> license -- but which one?
>
> In any case, the License field within the font itself only says
> "Copyright (c) FRiTZe, 2006. All rights reserved."  So Fontaine can
> only conclude "Unknown or Proprietary License"!
>
> Does anyone know this font author?  Perhaps someone could write to
> him, suggesting he fill in the Copyright/License fields directly in
> the font file itself.  Also, we really need to know very specifically
> which CC license.  "CC" by itself is almost useless, I think (I could
> be wrong ...)

No you're entirely right, this is the kind of ambiguity we need to
filter out in a friendly manner to keep our quality focus. The various
combinations have very different effects.

The FSF also indicates directly on their license-lists that this is a
crucial issue:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#which-cc

But on this font author's page there are two links to
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/de/
only attribution (and German jurisdiction).

BTW, the name reminds me of Dennis's Vollkornnudeln font:
http://home.sus.mcgill.ca/~moyogo/fonts/Vollkornnudeln.ttf

--
Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary