[OpenFontLibrary] What licenses do we accept?

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 09:04:19 PDT 2009

Hi, Nicolas et al.,

>> Do the Adobe-licensed-to-TeX Utopia fonts exist in a TrueType or
>> OpenType packaging?
>
> Heuristica is a transformation to OpenType (CFF & TT)
> ftp://ftp.dvo.ru/pub/Font/heuristica/
>
> It's been relicensed to the OFL, which seemed compatible with the TUG
> grant when we looked at it.

OK, I just checked in Fontaine SVN version no. 27 which now detects
Adobe's license to TUG for the Utopia family.  Tested using
Heuristica.

The license fields in the Heuristica font files indeed contain the
original Abobe-TUG license wording, "Copyright (c) 1989, 1991 Adobe
Systems Incorporated.  All Rights ..."

If this font is really and legitimately licensed under OFL, then
shouldn't the license field just say OFL?

- Ed