[OpenFontLibrary] nicewebtype.com

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Fri Jun 12 06:46:49 PDT 2009

On Friday, June 12, 2009, 11:59:22 AM, Dave wrote:

DC> http://nicewebtype.com/

DC> Nice!

DC> Here is their first web font specimen page, for a typeface with a
DC> couple of freeware fonts to upsell the full proprietary family:
DC> http://nicewebtype.com/fonts/graublau-sans-web/

Good to see them making a freely-downloadable face available.

Sad to see

> # Graublau Sans Pro is available in weights and styles that Graublau
> Sans Web is not, but Pro is not licensed for use with @font-face.

I'd rather they had the option to say

# Graublau Sans Pro is available in weights and styles that Graublau
Sans Web is not; please contact us to purchase a license for Pro
@font-face on your site.

I also note

> Please note: IE supports @font-face via fonts converted to .EOT, but
> because conversion is a hassle I have skipped it in this example

so apparently, making an EOT of the Pro version would not meet their
needs, which is an interesting data point.

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG