[OpenFontLibrary] [Open Font Library] Upload Flagged

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Mar 4 11:23:02 PST 2009

Jon Phillips wrote:
> Actually, I think we should launch asap. If there are problematic
> fonts, then we can rely upon flagging to help track them
> down...otherwise, we'll never get to the launch! :)
>
> Jon

I beg to disagree :-)

If we launch without any licensing audit of what's currently in the db
and no moderation queue on the new site, then all the beautiful design
and great functionality work that was done recently will be ignored by
the designers who care about quality and respecting authors' rights and
they may well simply leave. Not what we want.

To quote Raph Levien's latest comment on a typophile thread:
"openfontlibrary.org has been disappointing, partly because they haven’t
reached anywhere near parity with commercial sites for just showing the
font, and partly because there’s no emphasis on promoting high-quality
fonts above random dross. The new version may well turn out better in
both regards."

The transition to the new site should really be the time to do the audit
(like we agreed to do at the last LGM).

Post-moderation has its role to play but we need to see the before/after
in terms of our licensing policies.

What do the others think?
Please speak up.

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font team / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org