[OpenFontLibrary] Computer Modern / MIT X11 License

Fontfreedom at aol.com Fontfreedom at aol.com
Thu Mar 5 16:08:30 PST 2009

To: Mr. Andrey V. Panov:
I do like, and promote the usage of the MIT/X11 License for fonts, Obviously,
 I want people to use that, as i'm promoting on my site:
_http://www.openfontlibrary.com/_ (http://www.openfontlibrary.com/)
I appreciate the fact that your work on, study of, and close involvement
with the Computer Modern Fonts lets you identify their usage within other fonts.
However, if someone copied the glyph(s) you mention in the disputed font
recently discussed on the OFLB mailing list from the computer modern fonts as
released themselves, and not your modified version, that would be in the public
domain, not subject to your modified X11.
I'm concerned about the various non-canonical items you have added to the
MIT/X11 License, such as:
>Except as contained in this notice, the name of a copyright holder shall
not be used in advertising or >otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
dealings in this Software without prior written authorization of >the  copyright
holder.
Why did you add that? So nobody would include your name with some promotion
of the fonts? I'm concerned you may have added that after misunderstanding
part  of a public domain dedication notice re: the Computer Modern fonts, from
Blue Sky Research.
Also, One (large) problem I have with your modification is: It may
contradict the X11 license itself, which requires attribution in a derivative  work.
For reference: The canonical version of the MIT/X11 license:
_http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php_
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php)
FontFreedom
CC: The OFLB group for comments.