[OpenFontLibrary] Font upload process

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sat Mar 21 08:07:40 PDT 2009

Hi,

Ed is cooking on the upload process for OFLBv2, and below I rewrite
his email to me to explain some stuff publically :-) So this is mostly
Ed's words, which I've wrapped in quotes.

We are planning to force every upload to be a ZIP file, and thus, as
Ed Trager put it, "enforce a set of quality standards, at least at the
level of packaging, documentation, and licensing."

"By enforcing this level of professionalism, we naturally encourage a
similar level of professionalism at the typographic level too.  And of
course we expect that when fontaine's report shows "missing glyphs"
that this will encourage the font designers to go back and fill in the
missing stuff."

Also, "if on the other hand the user submits only a single TTF or OTF
file (i.e., without the "proper" packaging as a ZIP archive with
FONTLOG and all the other requirements), then fontaine will run
against the uploaded file and display the report to the user. But the
file will NOT be saved into OFLB! Instead, the user will get to see
the preliminary fontaine report and instructions on how to properly
package their work as a ZIP archive."

Comments welcome :-)