[OpenFontLibrary] licence

Robert Martinez mail at mray.de
Mon Mar 23 07:43:09 PDT 2009

Nicolas Spalinger wrote:
>> Your thoughts make sense.
>> But don't you think that introducing "free/libre" would just add a new
>> level of confusion?
>>

> Thanks, but my suggestion is libre/open fonts not free/libre.
> Precisely to reduce confusion.
>
> [..]
>

>> (And I'm willing to explain the difference between "gratis" and
>> "freedom" until every freeware font resource starts labeling its stuff
>> "gratis/no-cost/giveway/..whatever" instead of just "free".)
>>

> Mmm, do you realise that the ambiguity benefits them and that IMHO they
> are unlikely to want to clarify? In a similar way than freeware sites or
> mainstream computer magazines consciously re-labeling software under
> FSF-approved licenses as "freeware"...
>
> How much spare time do you have :-)
> Better start soon...  or maybe not...

I look at it like this:
there is already a big effort to find words to exactly formulate the
freedom we speak about - and the the "free culture community" has
adopted it so far.
It might just trigger a bigger side-effect than we actually gain by
introducing new terminology.

(most people still don't get the difference between "freeware" and "free
software" still i think it is good to stick with it)