[OpenFontLibrary] typekit - possible solution for foundries for fonts on the web?

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Fri May 29 13:31:39 PDT 2009

  They've just said this:

"I just wanted to clarify some of the confusion over the mention of
JavaScript in the post. Typekit isn’t using any sort of image
replacement for rendering fonts on web pages. We’re using the CSS
@font-face declaration to link to Truetype and OpenType files. We’re
using JavaScript to simplify that process and account for various
browser versions (like automatically swapping in EOT for Internet
Explorer)."

So what is the big deal? They are charging people for fonts they have
presumably licensed. If they are serving Truetype and OpenType files
there is no particular protection for the foundries.

Chris