[OpenFontLibrary] latest?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Oct 21 05:17:41 PDT 2009

Le Mer 21 octobre 2009 14:08, Ben Weiner a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Nicolas Spalinger wrote:
>> I think we also seriously need to think about WOFF support in the
>> library seeing the endorsement already expressed by many organizations:
>> http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2009/10/20/mozilla-supports-web-open-font-format/
>>
> Absolutely agree. Let's get the new version live, and then take a fresh
> look...

Well, as the Mozilla article states plainly there are zero technical
advantages to woff as compared to raw TTF/OTF as long as your apache is
configured properly (with transparent compression, that any serious org has
been doing for years).

Since the OFLB has no problems distributing raw TTF/OTF files and presumably
is competent enough to use mod_deflate, I really do not see what would be the
point of pretending WOFF is any better. Let the foundries promote the format
they forced on the internet themselves.

(I've really loved all the spin about woff that tried to imply woff was
somehow necessary for web fonts, that systematically used libre fonts like
gentium or mgopen as examples when they can already be used directly as plain
font files with no degradation of user experience whatsoever).

--
Nicolas Mailhot