[OpenFontLibrary] latest?

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Wed Oct 21 07:14:16 PDT 2009

> And something does need to be done, since OFL forbids conversion to
> another format without a rename fork; which is a PITA for folks who
> want to reference a WOFF version of a free font.

OLF-ed fonts are libre/open fonts not "free fonts". And no, I'm not
tired of insisting on the crucial difference and will clarify each time
there is a need. We refuse the semantics game of some "professional"
foundries who lump under the "free font" blanket term the freeware low
quality stuff of unknown or dubious legal origin with quality open fonts
using FSF-approved licenses. NOT the same approach!

This is actually a design feature of the OFL which is wanted and
recognized as useful by many actual real font designers: allowing
unrestricted modifications and branching while not messing up the
namespace and confusing end-users. Not likely to change.

What's keeping webmasters from showing a little creativity in finding a
new name for their branch? Seriously, it's not that hard, really.

Font optimizer services like
http://fonts.philip.html5.org/ already take that fact into account and
handle the renaming when they generate a branch.

If they absolutely need to keep the upstream name they can directly
negotiate with upstream for permissions.

--
Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary