[OpenFontLibrary] latest?

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Thu Oct 22 10:48:05 PDT 2009

On Thursday, October 22, 2009, 4:57:06 PM, Chris wrote:

CF> Chris Lilley wrote:

>> And something does need to be done, since OFL forbids conversion to another format without a rename fork; which is a PITA for folks who want to reference a WOFF version of a free font.

CF> Irrespective of the license there is often a problem with modifying
CF> fonts or changing fonts without renaming them - as modified fonts or
CF> fonts converted to a different format can have subtley different metrics
CF> enough to cause text to re-flow. This is unlikely to matter much on web
CF> pages but in carefully typeset documents it can be disastrous.

I accept the general point (reflow can also be a significant issue on the web, by the way, depending on the content) but for this specific case, decoding a WOFF font and decoding an OT font result in bit for bit identical tables, such that a signature on one is a signature on the other. No subtly differing metrics there.

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG