[OpenFontLibrary] PT sans dual-licensed now

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Apr 5 05:47:41 PDT 2010

Hi Alexandre!

On 5 April 2010 14:36, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.libregraphicsworld.org/news.php?readmore=285
> PT Sans by Paratype has a separate version under OFL now.

The OFL.txt isn't in the download ZIP. I see a link to a blog post,
http://community.livejournal.com/paratype/10009.html, which has a
section "license" which run through Google Translate says,

"""The text of the license, as it seems, is short, simple and
understandable. Its essence lies in the fact that with these fonts you
can do whatever he pleases, but can not engage in cheating. Since the
fonts are free, you can not sell them for money. If they come with a
commercial product, with the price, the price of the product should
not increase due to the inclusion of these fonts, ie the user must
know that in the product are free fonts, which can not lead to an
increase in prices.

In addition, we do not want to shift the responsibility for our font
to someone else, so do not allow to use the original name Fri Sanz
title modified versions without our express permission. The user must
be sure that installing Fri Saens, it sets exactly the font that has
passed our quality control procedures, and about which he can send us
a complaint. Make your version, add whatever you want, though
Occidental, even Greek, but to call their own way.

Typically, the product is the basic license and is its translations,
which often perform the function of information and are not official
licenses. The same is arranged and the license on the TS Saens - the
authoritative text is the Russian version, and English is the
reference.

Od-on-to have nu-ans. We've got an application with a request to
include the font Fri Suns in various versions of Linux and other
products distributed via open licenses. For these products
substantially availability of official British license, and in
applications often ask that our license literally coincides with the
OFL (Open Font License). We are ready to provide on-demand version of
the font with the OFL, in this version of the font file will be not
refer to our license, and the site SIL, which is the official text of
the OFL.

In addition, the font may be distributed and other licenses. For
example, if it will be distributed with Windows, and there he will
have the license, which acts on other fonts that are supplied with the
system. So do not be surprised at the presence of different licenses
Fri Saens, this does not affect, and expands the possibilities of its
use.

And, finally, about the use to process Web pages. In the present text
we have inserted a special word about the fact that it is allowed. All
modern browsers except IE, can work directly with TTF fonts. For IE we
have in the first quarter construct EOT version and also will publish
them for free download. While you can convert themselves into TTF EOT
using public services. Just do not forget to rename them - it would
have modified fonts."""

So, I will email Paratype and ask for a copy with the OFL attached,
and stick it on the web and add a link on the OFLB wiki.

> All thanks presumably go to Dave Crossland? ;-)

;-)

Cheers