[OpenFontLibrary] Kernest’s Web Font Serving Engine – Fontue – Now Open Source

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Thu Apr 22 12:59:49 PDT 2010

Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger at sil.org> writes:

> please consider saying Gratis when you don't make your subscribers
> directly pay for the given font and libre/open when you describe
> fonts released under community-approved licenses allowing
> distribution / modification / study / redistribution.

Many people outside the open-source community don't know those words.
For discussions on a mailing list they're fine, but they don't really
communicate well when your audience is the general public.

Instead of "Gratis" I would suggest the phrase "free of charge", which
I believe nearly everyone in the English-speaking world understands.

As for "libre", it's better to name a specific license, or at least
the general category (permissive versus share-alike).  Not everyone
will understand, but people who *care* about the license will, so.

--

v4sw5Phw5ln5pr5FPO/ck2ma9u7FLw2/5l6/7i6e6t2b7/en4a3Xr5g5T
http://hackerkey.com/decrypt.php?hackerkey=v4sw5PprFPOck2ma9uFw2l6i6e6t2b7en4g5T