[OpenFontLibrary] PT Sans

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jan 13 19:43:43 PST 2010

2010/1/1 James Cloos <cloos+fd-openfontlibrary at jhcloos.com>:

> The arguments also covered the fact that most licenses and contracts
> are based on some pre-existing license or contract.  It may not even
> be possible to create one out of whole cloth.

It clearly IS possible, the GNU GPL was a wholly original license text
with no precedent, and RMS was not a lawyer when he wrote it.

However, as I said, I can see how documents pertaining to legal
matters can enter the public domain prematurely; they can be published
by a court in a country where all government publications are placed
in the public domain.

But the SIL hasn't been published like that, its been published like
any other document, including this email.

I do not see why the legal status of the SIL OFL is different to any
other text. Since no permission to modify the OFL text has been given
to anyone, publishing such a modified text  is breaking the copyright
law. Integrating the text in any other work means that work is
breaking the copyright law.

Thus the current PT Sans release is breaking the copyright law; it is
not legally redistributable.

Christoph, please could you point me to some URLs about your assertion
that texts about legal topics, such as a copyright license, are public
domain?

Cheers