[OpenFontLibrary] OFLB: time for project management?

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Sat Jul 3 12:30:53 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Thinking about the frustrating bugs in the current OFLB and the long list of features we want in the next version, I wonder whether it time to transition from the wiki TODO list (http://openfontlibrary.org/wiki/OFLB_TODO_list) to an issue tracker?

If we used a tracking system, we'd be able to group bugs and requests, we could see whether an open issue was progressing, and we'd be able to prioritise our resources a little better.

On the other hand, such a system takes discussion away from the email list. Some people will see that as a bad thing, because it hides the work that is going on and might make decisions less democratic. Others will be glad because the Open Font Library is about making and sharing fonts, and the knowledge that goes with that activity, and not about making web sites!

If we do want to use a dedicated system, what is favoured? I'm using the Redmine tracker (http://www.redmine.org/) on a current project; with about a month's experience it seems at least as good as Trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) which I used for several years, although as yet I have not got it linked to a version control system so I don't know how that feels.

Cheers,
Ben

--

Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html