[OpenFontLibrary] LGM 2011

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 04:23:35 PDT 2010

Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hello Libre Font people,
>
> For the last few weeks there's been a discussion over on the CREATE
> list about LGM 2011. There are 3 proposals, in alphabetical order:
>
> Brasil http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Conference_2011_Brasil_Bid
>
> Canada http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Conference_2011_Montréal_Bid
>
> Vietnam http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Conference_2011_Vietnam_Bid
>
> Please read them, and reply to this on-list with your order of
> preference. I'll do that myself in a moment, so you can see what I
> hope you'll reply with :-)

Vietnam, Brazil, Montréal

> (Even if you didn't attend previous conferences, are not planning to
> attend next year, your input is welcome :-)
>
> If you can spare the time, please also answer these questions:
>
> a1) YES/NO: Do you have enough information to decide LGM venues for 2011?
> a2) If no, please describe

yes

> b1) Will you make it to Brasil if LGM is there in 2011?
> b2) Will you make it to Canada if LGM is there in 2011?
> b3) Will you make it to Vietnam if LGM is there in 2011?

if I can get the time off I'll try to be there wherever it is.

> c1) Are you satisfied overall by the process to decide the venue on
> the wiki? (Explained at
> http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Conference_2011 if you haven't been
> following)

the one thing I don't know is: who'll make the final decision? If it looks
like most people want it to be in place X then there's no problem, but what if
opinions are really divided and no consensus is reached?

> d1) What do you think of the bidding process?
> d2) Should we keep it as it is, a one-year process, or change to a
> two-year process?

don't really have an opinion on this. I guess two years would be somewhat
easier for the organizers. But if it were a two-year process already, would we
have had the Vietnam and Brazil bids for 2011?