[OpenFontLibrary] Ubuntu Font Testing webapp

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 14 02:29:20 PDT 2010

Le 13/07/2010 21:44, Khaled Hosny a écrit :

> I too don't like releasing half done fonts, though I usually have a
> public repo with SFD files for brave souls, but I'm not canonical and
> people are unlikely to build and distribute my broken fonts.

If releasing means a pretty web site with font previews and lyrical
descriptions then by all means wait forever.

However, font authors that wait till fonts are "done" to publish them
often never do so, or publish them halfway, because they didn't use the
development period to set up robust vcs/release conventions and by the
time they're done they feel it's too late for it (creating a good
workflow is not something done in 2 hours just before release)

The same authors usually do not know how to handle bug requests because
all their workflow is based on a font being done and not modified after
publication.

Therefore, I don't think ubuntu is being smart here. If you want to
protect your unfinished fonts publish them in a non-mainstream archive
format such as tar.bz2 or tar.xz that should be sufficient to stop skimmers.

--
Nicolas Mailhot