[OpenFontLibrary] workflow hints

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 13:52:04 PDT 2010

On 6/15/10, Schrijver wrote:

> Generally, you won’t want to work on the UFO files directly, but you
> interface through an editor which can read and write UFO, like fontforge or
> the proprietary alternative.

I sort of suspected that :-P

> I guess internally fontforge then creates a fontforge project, but that
> doesn’t really matter. The UFO is what you put into versioning, and what
> other tools speak to.
>
> To get stuff in and out of the UFO fontforge scripting should work really
> well; Dave posted a 4 line script to generate ttf’s; and you could for
> example write a script that imports svg’s.

That would mean fighting away some important tasks to get a grasp on
programming. Not in this life. But I got the idea :)

> We made some documentation on this on the wiki, but that’s offline…
> **poke Dave** (sorry man, I know you work hard!)
>
> Eric
>
> ps to programmatically manipulate ufo there is also the robofab python
> library

Yeah, I was intending to have a look at that one day, when I have
nothing to do, that is, when I'm dead and buried six feet underground
:)

In other words, would it be considered polite to just distribute
FontForge source and expect someone contribute a script that exports
it to UFO or whatever, in case that someone really-really needs it?

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org