[OpenFontLibrary] workflow hints

Peter Baker b.tarde at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 18:53:32 PDT 2010

On Monday, June 14, 2010, Schrijver
> You could actually come up with collaboration strategies around Fontforge’s own format too; I think they made a plain-text version of it for this purpose. (And I think this is in Nicolas’ templates as well). The main reason why you would want to use UFO is that it is agnostic to the editor being used.

Couple of quick points. First, the FontForge format has always been
plain text. It works well with CVS, SVN, etc. It isn't really
human-editable, but it contain everything--outlines, hints or
instructions, OT features, kerning, etc. Second, UFO by contrast is
woefully incomplete: it knows nothing about TrueType instructions, for
example, or OpenType features. The slowness of its development is
baffling to me, considering the importance of the things that are
still missing. I flirted with it for a while but had to give it up.

Strangely, the binary font formats remain very good for exchange. Both
the major editors read them!

Peter