[OpenFontLibrary] workflow hints

Erik van Blokland erik at letterror.com
Tue Jun 15 02:22:06 PDT 2010

On 15 jun 2010, at 09:12, Ben Laenen wrote:

> And the main reason why you shouldn't work with UFO *at this moment*
> is that it doesn't support basic stuff like truetype hinting yet.

Perhaps I can explain a bit about the state of support of hinting data
in UFO. It is largely due to the different ways in which TrueType
hinting can be represented and the different expectations/formats
various editors have. We're trying to avoid having to dictate what the
right way is and left it "for later" or at least for "someone more
knowledgeable". For instance, for storing vector or kerning
information there is far less ambiguity and it is easier to define a
shape for storing the data that's useful for all.

Note that arbitrary application data or project specific data can be
stored and retrieved from the UFO font.lib. It doesn't need much more
than a "org.openfontlibrary.hinting.truetype" entry to make a place to
store something.

Cheers,
Erik