[OpenFontLibrary] workflow hints

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 06:40:22 PDT 2010

Dave Crossland wrote:
> Like the XGF format?

Don't know. But we need to have some distinction here between

* how you edit the instructions in a program
* how it's saved in the file

Is the xgridfit format good to write down instructions: I'm not a fan of it.
If you have to write down instructions I prefer doing it in the syntax
FontForge uses instead of having to write down xml tags. But Denis has more
experience with using xgridfit than me, so maybe he can elaborate.

Is the xgridfit format good to use in UFO? Perhaps a subset of it, namely the
subset of raw instructions, but even then I first have to see if xgridfit lets
you work on the stack or not (i.e. whether it allows a syntax like "PUSHB_1
25; SRP0" and not just "SRP0(25)") -- I really don't know this. As said in my
basically means taking each instruction and making a xml syntax for it, so the
tiny example above could be like:
 <pushb_1>
   <b>25</b>
 </pushb>
 <spr0/>
(I'm just quickly writing down something -- perhaps you want something like
<instr t="spr0"/>).

I think that higher-level instructions (which is the main use for xgridfit)
are too program-specific to be used as main hinting syntax in the UFO format.
But it could be stored in a program specific extension of the UFO file.

Greetings
Ben