[OpenFontLibrary] Fwd: Using Javascript to Detect Script Support in a Browser

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jun 16 09:46:16 PDT 2010

Le mardi 15 juin 2010 à 14:17 -0400, Ed Trager a écrit :
> I sent the following to the Unicode mailing list.  People on this list
> might have some ideas too, so I am forwarding it here as well:

> It would be very nice to come up with a reliable solution for scripts
> that are traditionally monospaced.  Does anyone have any brilliant
> ideas?

In Fedora fontconfig can request fonts from the package manager if it
wants to. So any fontconfig app (which is all modern Linux apps) could
dynamically download all the font it needs provided fontconfig knows
about the langage and a suitable font package is available in the
network repositories the system is configured to use.

What needs more work is exactly what fontconfig requests and when,
because it is no suitable to trigger mass font downloads every time a
spam arrives with some wierd unicode glyphs inside. But the core
achitecture is there and is capable in theory to fill all possible i18n
needs.

This solution is not cross platform but can enable any app that uses
fonts, and gives users the tools to do anything in any language, and not
just read text others wrote in their browser.

--
Nicolas Mailhot