[OpenFontLibrary] openfontlibrary.org/, cannot download font, cannot upload font

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 24 16:26:21 PDT 2010

Hi,

On 24 June 2010 23:35, Simos Xenitellis <simos.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> There are issues with openfontlibrary.org

> 1. being inaccessible at times (now it's inaccessible)

The server has disk space problems. I'm unsure what to do.

> 2. you cannot download a font, it gives an error and asks to contact
> the owner e-mail of this mailing list.
> I did that but did not hear back. Does the owner mailing list alias
> forward the e-mails?

They come to me - sorry for the delay replying, but I get about one an
hour when the site isn't working right and its too many to reply to.

There is a reoccuring problem caused by our PHP code not escaping
sql/shell characters in font metadata properly when it comes out the
database, and the AJAX-based '/files' page is fragile, so it currently
has zero items sent to it by the PHP server side and thus gives an
"index 0" error.

I don't know enough PHP to know how to fix this. When it happens, I
have to look at every font recently uploaded and figure out what
illegal character in which font's metadata is messing up, and editing
the database so its clean, and emailing the user who uploaded the font
to ask them to change it for the future.

The database has now balooned in size to hundreds of megs, and poking
at it via the command line will crash SSHD because sending 30 megs of
text down the line isn't good.

> 3. you cannot upload a font, it gives the error
>
> "/var/www/openfontlibrary.org/public/openfontlibrary/openfontlibrary_files/lib/oflb_handle_file_uploads.php"(286):
> chdir() [function.chdir]: No such file or directory (errno 2)
> [2010-06-24 21:29 pm][x.x.x.x][/submit/typeface]

Thats the disk space problem, I imagine.

However, the latest upload was done today:

[80.143.234.43 - 2010-06-24 09:29 pm]  Moved file to:
/var/www/openfontlibrary.org/htdocs/content/Ernst_Tremel/137/

and you can see this here: http://openfontlibrary.org/files/Ernst_Tremel/137/

> a. What's the current status of the openfontlibrary.org website? Is it
> functional to download/upload fonts?

When the "/get" page is working, yes, although its fragile.

> b. If there are problems quite often in the website scripts, it is
> good to create customer error pages in Apache so that visitors or
> contributors are informed what they should do.

The errors are caught by the ccHost error system, and the message is
shown as it is now, although if you'd like to suggest a different
error text, please do :-)

I have been back on the road since LGM but I will be settling down to
work again for a week full time on OFLB from Saturday.

Cheers