[OpenFontLibrary] Google Font Directory

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Jun 30 10:32:21 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 01:21:00PM -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> writes:
>
> > Just a question, don't CSS have a font fallback mechanism so that
> > one can set, say, Droid Sans followed by Droid Sans Cyrillic or
> > Droid Sans CJK if he wants Cyrillic or CJK support?
>
> If your site uses CJK, you'd probably embed a font that supports CJK.
> If your site uses Cyrillic characters, you'd embed a font that has
> them.  And so on.  (The internet can find a place for fonts with all
> different levels of character coverage.)

I meant, why google font directory can't serve several subsets of each
font covering one of the scripts supported by the original font, say
DroidLatin, DroidArabic, DroidCyrillic, DroidCJK etc, now if my site
uses both Arabic and English I can set my CSS rule to select use
DroidLatin first then falls back to DroidArabic. So every one gets only
the scripts he actually wants.

Regards,
 Khaled

--