[OpenFontLibrary] New Ubuntu Font

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Fri Mar 5 05:41:49 PST 2010

Great!

I really do not like the look of the Vera Sans based fonts that are now the default fonts on most Linux distros (if I’m not mistaken).
That is no fault of the Deja-vu teams, it is just that the original design on which they are based I think is hugely unattractive :-(

> It will be published under an open font
> license, and considered part of the trade dress of Ubuntu, which will
> limit its relevance for software interfaces outside of Ubuntu but

What do they mean by that?
Surely, if it is an open licence, any distro could use it for their software interface?
It could represent a leap in the usability of linux for the desktop in general, not just ubuntu (assuming that the font turns out well, of course :))

Though the whole Gnome interface could undergo some serious visual scrutiny imho

Eric

ps I also think the new logotype is quite nice

Op 5 mrt 2010, om 14:31 heeft Dave Crossland het volgende geschreven: