[OpenFontLibrary] New Ubuntu Font

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Mar 5 07:25:16 PST 2010

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 02:31:17PM +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
>> "We are considering an internship program, to support aspiring
>> fontographers from all corners of the world to visit London and work
>> with Dalton Maag to extend the font to their own regional glyph set."
>> is very cool.
>
> Very interesting! By mere coincidence, I'm preparing for an Arabic font
> directed mainly for user interfaces and readability on screens, one have
> to watch this Ubuntu font closely.

Yeah for branding and interface fonts taking into account the needs of
the various scripts right from the beginning :-)

I find the following in Mark's post to be very good too:  "The work has
been commissioned from world-renowned fontographers Dalton Maag, who
have expressed excitement at the opportunity to publish an open font and
also a font that they know will be used daily by millions of people."

I think it's up to us as a community to think about ways where we can
come alongside these established designers commissioned to do open font
design to mutually learn and share tools, methodologies and
corresponding best practises and as a result improve the overall
trajectories of open font projects creation and maintainership. The
articulation of existing community-based open font projects and
commissioned projects such as this one will probably be quite interesting...

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org