[OpenFontLibrary] How much does a new typeface cost?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Mar 5 20:56:53 PST 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 04:04:08AM +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On http://typophile.com/node/68060 John Hudson writes,
>
> "Aaron: Latin-9, 192 Glyph, Regular weight Sans-serif typeface. $7,680
> for design. $5,760 for TrueType hinting. $480 per diem for other work
> (e.g. OpenType Layout, mastering and testing)."
>
> I remember making a similar thread on TP last year with, sadly, less
> specific replies, so I am very impressed that he published this.
>
> $14,000 all in ain't bad, and it sets a realistic figure on how much
> revenue a business model has to generate to initiate each free font
> family project I think.

Hmm, well, I'm doing my libre, high quality Arabic revival for $2,000
only, and given the extensive OpenType programming I'm doing the
aforementioned number would have been $20,000 at least ;)

But hey, I'm a FOSS zealot and am actually doing it for fun and out of
my admire to classic Arabic type.

Regards,
 Khaled

--