[OpenFontLibrary] New Ubuntu Font

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Sat Mar 6 06:28:28 PST 2010

Jon Phillips wrote:
> If someone drafts an email, I will join on and make sure it gets to
> shuttleworth and jono...we should try to engage them constructively.

Mark is already well-aware of the various issues surrounding libre/open
fonts from previous face to face and email discussions over the past
development cycles of Ubuntu and also about the
commissioning/release/maintainership of Ubuntu-title and the
relationships with the trademark policy.  Earlier on, he was one of the
key community figures involved in the review of the OFL model and he
gave his insights and support to the effort.

Ahem, it seems to me (prove me wrong) that Mark/Canonical/Ubuntu have
their act together better than the OpenFontLibrary at this stage...
Let's focus on the work of getting the OFLB established before promising
we do more...

Also the new open font for Ubuntu/Canonical is still being worked on and
there is still some time before they do the first public release.

I think some designers from Ubuntu will be at the upcoming LGM, sounds
like the ideal place to make plans for other open font design workshops
- especially with Pierre and Ludivine's (and other OPS-ers I presume)
open foundry http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/foundry/ - and see how we
may get involved in commissioned font efforts.

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org