[OpenFontLibrary] New Ubuntu Font

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Sat Mar 6 10:58:57 PST 2010

Thanks Liam

I agree I should be more specific. I was planning to look deeper into the usability of open source, do some blogging on the subject, sit up some discourse, for me it is important to bridge the design and the foss community…

I think the Open Font Library is a potential platform for that, since designers are naturally interested in type.
It is a chance to explore collaborative and distributed workflows.
I will attend LGM2010. Looking forward to it!

On commisioning etc…
I agree with Nicolas S

> The
> articulation of existing community-based open font projects and
> commissioned projects such as this one will probably be quite interesting...

Stimulating, one hopes :)

Regarding Garrick’s comments:

I think paying professionals could occur in all parts of the ecosystem… not just for creating original fonts…
I think net gains would be much higher if you also hired professionals to, instead of making just another font, work on the overall quality of existing free fonts. Kerning, hinting.
That is the whole idea of free software, no, that you can build on what has already been done?

But yeah I am looking forward to the new site.
I taught a web development class today, and when talking about web fonts, it was a shame I couldn”t show them the new OFLB

Good luck Dave this weekend!

Eric

Op 6 mrt 2010, om 18:59 heeft Liam R E Quin het volgende geschreven: