[OpenFontLibrary] Windows 5k Name table restriction

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Mon May 10 02:52:13 PDT 2010

On 05/09/2010 03:14 AM, Garrick Van Buren wrote:
> Nicolas,
>
> The short answer is - I like them and they're consistent with the direction Kernest is pointing. Just need to work out the specifics.

Good to hear that you're taking into account community feedback. IMHO
enlightened businessmen tend to do this and reap some benefits :-)

It's obviously your call but I really think it will be helpful to make
your work and service stand out from the gazillions "free font" sites
and better deal with how the vast majority of real designers badly react
to that loaded term... Seeing how you're blazing the trail :-)

Let me (us) know how I (we) can help with the specifics.

Last I checked Kernest offers more than 700 fonts tagged "free" and
these fonts have big variations in terms of what users are and aren't
actually allowed to do with them.... Way too confusing.

to rehash the suggestions for better classification of the font
offerings and keeping away from problematic mislabelling:

- gratis: when your subscribers don't pay for the particular item
- libre/open fonts: fonts released by their authors under licenses
allowing use/copy/modification/redistribution officially recognized by
FLOSS entities like FSF and OSI: OFL, MIT/X11, etc.
- freeware: distribution-only fonts, no modification rights, usually
foundry-specific

Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
http://planet.open-fonts.org