[OpenFontLibrary] Google Font Directory

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Tue May 25 05:00:45 PDT 2010

On Sunday, May 23, 2010, 7:09:39 PM, Liam wrote:

LREQ> On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 10:58 +0200, Schrijver wrote:
>> nice.
>> Yet; if they’re open to font contributions, why don’t they just mirror the catalogue of OFLBv2?

LREQ> By encouraging people to use an API, Google makes sure most people will
LREQ> refer to the fonts on their site, and this lets them add a cookie, and
LREQ> track visitors to more Web sites, helping them to learn more about
LREQ> people, and present them with better-targeted advertising. So there's a
LREQ> fairly clear (as I see it at least) business reason for them to do this.

Which is why I just did the get-via-mercurial route, bypassing their hosting and their api.

 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris at w3.org
 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG