[OpenFontLibrary] Drupal

Ben Weiner ben at readingtype.org.uk
Fri Feb 4 01:47:45 PST 2011

Hi Ron,

On 3 Feb 2011, at 20:13, Ron Williams wrote:

> This evening at the Maryland Drupal meetup I run, I will be proposing that the group picks up the project as pro-bono work. In addition, my company (Lithic Media) will be providing 70 hours of development time to facilitate initial build out and to act as a catalyst for other developers who are interested.

Ace! Would be good to see the outcome.

> We will also decide whether to base the site on Drupal 6 (which OFLB has a dev environment for already) or scrap that and go with Drupal 7 which has more issues but significant performance improvements and better utilities for file processing.

File processing is a key part of OFLB so that sounds sensible. In any case (6 or 7) there is software written by Ed Trager that can be used to pull out all the salient information about uploaded font files that can be pulled in with very straightforward PHP. One key file handling task is to reject fonts with incompatible licences immediately and alert the user: Ed's code tells you everything you need to know to do that.

Ben

--

Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html
+44 (0) 7780 608 659