[OpenFontLibrary] Open Font Library 0.4

Peter Baker b.tarde at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:32:24 PDT 2012

Congratulations on a really beautiful site! The layout is simple,
elegant and comprehensible and I really love the color scheme. I like
it that the samples use ligatures and contextual alternative where
available (though I suppose this can happen only in Firefox).

Here's a very short wish list. I think the categories ought to be more
prominent, since I imagine that most people looking for fonts on the
site will be in search of specialized things: a good text font, a
modern display font, whatever. Right now it appears that the
categories only appear on the search results page: many visitors will
never find them. I notice that you can also search by category: could
visitors be informed of this somehow?

I'm not sure if there's any rule for ordering fonts in the catalogue,
which is already big enough to be a little inconvenient to browse (and
I'm sure it will get much bigger pretty soon). It would be nice if it
could be filtered and/or sorted. On (for example) art.gnome.org you
can sort by name or by popularity, and on some other sites by number
of downloads and date. The usual thing, I believe, is for the default
to be order by name. Of course searching or choosing a category is in
effect filtering the collection, so perhaps a drop-down list would be
redundant for that purpose, though I did find myself looking for one
and not finding it.

Just wishes, as I've said. The site is beautiful and functional right now.

Peter Baker